The House of Toledo’s Virgin
Among the Cathedral’s treasures, few inspire deeper devotion than the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, where the Virgin of the Sagrario — patron saint of Toledo — is venerated.
The chapel takes its name from the ancient Sacrarium, the space reserved for sacred relics that the Primate Cathedral has safeguarded since medieval times.
The image of the Virgin, enthroned in a majestic structure of gilded silver — the work of the Florentine sculptor Virgilio Fanelli (17th century) — is a wooden sculpture dating from the late 12th century. In 1465 it was clad in silver plates and adorned with a fringe of gold and precious stones. The Child, likewise silvered, blesses with his right hand and holds in his left the orb crowned by the Cross.
According to tradition, the Virgin was hidden during the period of Islamic rule and, following the Christian reconquest of Toledo in 1085, miraculously emerged from a well in the cloister holding a lit candle — a luminous sign of faith restored. Since then, the Virgin of the Sagrario has accompanied the people of Toledo through their feasts, prayers and times of drought — as in 1616, when her procession was said to bring rain — becoming the city’s spiritual heart.
The chapel was designed by Juan Bautista Monegro, following plans by Nicolás de Vergara the Younger, and completed under Cardinal Bernardo de Sandoval y Rojas.
Square in plan and covered by a dome on pendentives, it is richly clad in marbles from Genoa, Estremoz, Granada, San Pablo de los Montes and Urda, carved by Bartolomé Abril and Juan Bautista Semeria. The bronze elements were crafted by Alejandro Brache and Francisco Sánchez, and the gilding by Andrés Salinas. The dome frescoes, painted by Eugenio Cajés and Vicente Carducho, depict a doctrinal heaven in which the Evangelists, Prophets and Doctors of the Church surround the radiant presence of the Blessed Sacrament. Side oratories house paintings by Carducho, Cajés and Carlo Saraceni, dedicated to Saint Bernard, Saint Eugenius, Saint Ildefonso and Saint Leocadia.
On 20 October 1616, in the presence of King Philip III and the royal court, this sanctuary was solemnly inaugurated after fourteen days of celebration.
Since then, the Chapel of the Sagrario has remained what it has always been: the living heart of Toledo, where faith, history and beauty kneel before the Mother who watches eternally over her city.