Where Heaven Touched the Earth
Between the two minor naves, at the second pillar from the western end of the Cathedral, lies the Chapel of the Descent — one of the oldest and most sacred spaces in the temple.
Founded by King Henry II of Castile, it occupies the precise spot where, according to tradition, the High Altar of the Visigothic basilica dedicated to Saint Mary once stood: the true origin of the Cathedral itself. Here, venerable legend recounts, the Virgin Mary descended from heaven to bestow a heavenly chasuble upon Saint Ildefonso, Archbishop of Toledo, in recognition of his defence of the mystery of her purity. From that moment onward, this place became the spiritual heart of Marian devotion in Toledo.
The present main altarpiece, carved by Felipe Bigarny and signed with the inscription PHILIPHI OPUS EST, was completed by his son Gregorio Pardo. Rendered in polychromed wood, it translates the miracle into sculptural form: at the centre, the Descent of the Virgin Mary; to either side, the Four Doctors of the Church; above, the Assumption; and in the predella, delicate reliefs depicting scenes from the life of the Virgin, the Apparition of Saint Leocadia and the Preaching of Saint Ildefonso.
The ensemble was restored in 1610 by order of Cardinal Sandoval y Rojas, as recorded in an inscription on the frieze.
Beneath the chapel floor lies Cardinal Baltasar Moscoso y Sandoval (†1655), whose tomb, executed in 1668 by Virgilio Fanelli y Salinas, extends the funerary tradition of this privileged site.
More than a chapel, the Chapel of the Descent is a living memory: the place where history meets miracle, and where Toledo remembers that, once, heaven touched the earth.