At the end of the sixteenth century the Sacristy was built by Vergara the Young. In its vault, a magnificent fresco painted by Luca Giordano that depicts the Descension of the Holy Virgin to put the chasuble on Bishop Saint Ildephonsus. We can appreciate the self-portrait of the artist in the last window on the left hand side. At the rear we find El Expolio, a piece by El Greco painted on the site in 1587 by assignment of Cabildo. It is framed in a marble and bronze altarpiece made in 1798, that replaced the original one made by El Greco and from which only the sculpture with the Imposition of the Chasuble remains.
The entire room is an authentic art gallery with paintings from the most important artists: El Greco, Caravaggio, Tiziano, Van Dick, Orrente, Tristán, Goya, Morales and José Ramos. On one side, we find the Cardinal Don Luis de Borbón’s Roman alabaster sepulchre made by Salvatierra in 1824. Close to the Sacristy there is the Archiepiscopal Sacristy, with art works from Rivera, Bassano and Bellini among others. Two more rooms complete these sections with liturgical clothing made in Toledo between the fifteenth and seventeenth centuries.
El Expolio (El Greco)
Virgen del Tesoro