Chapel of Santiago
This funeral chapel was built between 1435 and 1440 by Hanequín de Bruselas and was financed by the Constable of Castile Don Álvaro de Luna, the favourite of Juan II until he was beheaded in 1453. It takes up three quarters of the outside apse aisle and it was made in a Gothic Toledan style with a star shaped, arch ribbed vault. In the middle of the chapel there are the sepulchres of Don Álvaro de Luna and his wife Doña Juana Pimentel and it is only thanks to her, that the chapel could be finished. Other important family burials are placed at the sides (from left to right) Juan de Cerezuela (†1442) and Pedro de Luna (†1404), Toledo’s archbishops, and Don Juan de Luna and Don Álvaro, (Constable’s son and father respectively). The Gothic altarpiece that stands at the rear was ordered by Doña María de Luna in 1488 and was made to the plans of Pedro Gumiel. The predella and sculptures were designed by Juan de Segovia and the paintings are from the Master of Saint Ildephonsus and Sancho de Zamora. In the angles of the chapel there are several saints sculpted by Mariano Salvatierra in 1791.